[GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 15:39:08 EDT 2019

I woke up with one realization this morning -- sbuild was not picking up
the changed packages from backports etc. because it's probably set to
prefer anything that's already loaded into it (remember "normally" it grabs
fresh packages EVERY TIME you build, but I got impatient weeks ago and
pre-loaded all the dependencies).

Since I couldn't even build a known "clean" cmake package from a PPA I have
to assume I had basically ruined the chroot build environment somehow. SO I
deleted the old chroot and created the new chroot, and sure enough it's
building the cmake package just fine.

Here's how I deleted the chroot:
---------------------------------------
$ sudo sbuild-destroychroot bionic-amd64
[The above command does NOT delete the chroot -- it locates it and tells
you how. Useful!]

$ lsof /var/lib/schroot/chroots/bionic-amd64
$ sudo rm --recursive --one-file-system
/var/lib/schroot/chroots/bionic-amd64
$ sudo rm /etc/schroot/chroot.d/sbuild-bionic-amd64

Here's the process I used to create a bionic chroot with backports enabled:
$ mk-sbuild bionic

... [lots of stuff going into the chroot]
Done building bionic-amd64.

 To CHANGE the golden image: sudo schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root
 To ENTER an image snapshot: schroot -c bionic-amd64
 To BUILD within a snapshot: sbuild -A -d bionic-amd64 PACKAGE*.dsc
 To BUILD for : sbuild -A -d bionic-amd64 --host  PACKAGE*.dsc

$
$ schroot -c source:bionic-amd64 -u root

# cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
# cat > bionic-backports.list
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
^D

# apt update
# apt upgrade
# exit
$

The cmake source package is still building. It creates lots of binaries. I
typed this up while I was waiting...

Next thing to try: the GnuCash 3.7 package for Ubuntu Eoan with the GCC 9
build flag commented out...