[GNC-dev] About 3.9 and reconciliation balances

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 8 21:58:53 EDT 2020

I am now happy that there is no problem with the starting balance calculation
in 3.9  and the problem was caused by a previously undetected finger problem
on my part  and withdraw my previous qualms about retaining it for the
future.

I still think it is excessive to restrict the reconciliation date entry in
any way but agree that a warning should be displayed if either a statment
date in advance of "today" is entered, perhaps with the option for the user
to confirm that they either want to retain the advance date or reenter it in
a popup dialog.

Also agree with a warning if any reconciled transactions with reconcile
dates  in advance of today are detected in the file. I am less sure about
assigning them to an arbitrary past date however.

If a procedure for correcting them is developed it might be helpful if it
could display data for transactiions with reconciled splits which have the
advance date. The information that I found most useful to determine when I
made the error were the transaction date posted and the transaction date
entered into GnuCash and the reconciliation date and the account name or at
least the account guid to confirm that all the affected splits are to a
single account. This was particularlyuseful to me because i append an "_R"
to statement pdf files I have reconciled and the file modified time allows
me to determine the date I did a recociliation. In future I will append
"_Ryyyymmdd" so i don't have to look up the modified times for the files as
well.

Bug797668 is now marked as resolved

-----
David Cousens