[GNC-dev] "2" version of source code

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Aug 1 07:06:25 EDT 2020

Op dinsdag 14 juli 2020 20:53:51 CEST schreef John Ralls:
> I don't think that the speed is fixable on Gtk3: GtkTreeModels are slow and
> big ones are slower. Gtk4 has a new ListModel architecture that's supposed
> to be faster but of course it hasn't yet encountered the real world so
> there's no way to be sure.

I had come to the same conclusion shortly before the GnuCash 4.0 release. It may not be very
useful to redo this attempt with GtkTreeView. For myself I had delayed this to after the Gtk 4
release.

OTOH there are two aspects to this of course:
- the view side (which is responsible for displaying the info on screen). This is GtkTreeView and
there's not much that can be done to tweak it.
- the model (which is responsible for managing the data itself in memory). So far we are mostly
using GtkTreeModel's default implementation. I have been tempted to implement our own
implementation of the GtkTreeModel API though using C++ vectors and move semantics. I am
curious to find out if that can be made into a more efficient model implementation. However
here again, I'm pretty sure this is way to early in the current state of our C++ conversion. For
this to work, the primary data objects (transaction,split, account,...) should all be implemented
in C++.

Regards,

Geert