[GNC-dev] Saving searches

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jul 7 08:24:43 EDT 2020

The feature has been requested a few times on the user list that I recall.

Usually the need is solved with a different approach.

For example if the desired result is purely informational, a saved report is an option.

A recent thread concerned finding a particular subset of transactions, but the user didn’t know which account they were in, so they were running the search repeatedly by trial and error. Running the report from the Accounts tab (a global Find) did the trick.

I’ve seen a few cases of searches being done to refactor accounts and I personally can see saving the search to be useful when you have lots of transactions to change. I’ve done some work like this in batches and it would have been nice to just pull up the saved search when coming back to said work after said time. But it isn’t terrible for me to just redo the search from scratch. (not sure the re-assignment could be automated though in my case)

Not sure if any of that sheds light on your case. If you have to repeatedly refactor transactions from Imbalance to the same other account (thus needing to save the search) I’d instead ponder why those transactions that would be found by this search keep ending up in Imbalance in the first place. This is usually an error situation, either during manual entry (easily solvable individually) or from an import. (so the import process should either be improved, or the user missed an important step to avoid the Imbalance)

Regards,
Adrien