[GNC-dev] "2" version of source code

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jul 14 11:23:53 EDT 2020

Hi Jean,

On Mon, July 13, 2020 2:25 pm, Jean Laroche wrote:
> Hi Devs,
> Last night I was looking at what it would take to allow selecting
> multiple transactions in the split register, and realize (if I'm not
> mistaken) that the split register is not based on a tree view (in which
> case it would be easy to allow multi-select, but possibly tricky to do
> the right thing after that).

This is what I told you.  :)

> On the other hand, there are versions of the .c source files with a "2",
> which I believe were a rework of the basic GC UI elements, and one of
> them is the split register. The version 2 of it is apparently based on a
> tree view and I remember somebody mentioning that the refactoring was
> intended to allow multi-select (among other things I'm sure).

Yes, this is the "register2 rewrite" that didn't finish.

> Question:
> - What's the status of the "2" versions? This was worked on more than 10
> years ago, if I remember correctly. No update since?
> - How far was it from completion? Would it be a huge effort to look at
> the code and make it functional? I know it can be enabled with a special
> flag when we launch gnucash, what I don't know is what's missing before
> the "2" versions can be adopted...

Honestly I cannot answer these questions, so hopefully someone else will.
I just know it wasn't feature complete before Rob Fewell (IIRC) ran out of
steam, and nobody else picked it up.

> Jean

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745