[GNC-dev] WSL 2 and GnuCash

Chris Graves mohavebaked at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:42:38 EDT 2020

>From memory...
and unfortunately at this point,not user friendly.

With Windows 10 version 2004 installed:
Open the Turn Windows Features on or off dialog
Select Windows Subsystem for Linux and Virtual Machine Platform options
Installed to WSL, a very striped down Fedora from
https://github.com/yosukes-dev/FedoraWSL
Used wsl to convert FedoraWSL from version 1 to version 2 "wsl
--set-version fedora32 2"
Logged into Fedora via the command "wsl"
used dnf to install xfce, gnucash and several other utilities
created a user account with the name matching my windows username
in .bashrc set the DISPLAY variable "export DISPLAY=localhost:0"
Back in windows, installed a windows X server:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/
Launched the X server with the display set to 0
Created a shortcut with target: C:\Windows\System32\wsl.exe -u chris bash
 -l -c gnucash
 (when logging in to fedora via the wsl command, the .bashrc was not being
executed so DISPLAY wasn't being set
  thus - bash -l -c gnucash)
Double clicked the shortcut and voila -- GnuCash
Used the file->open dialog to open my data file -- BTW, the default
directory here was my Windows user directory

The process is a bit tedious and not something a typical user should be
asked to do, but it did work and was a fun exercise. Note that all the GC
config and AQB stuff lives in the users Linux home dir.