[GNC-dev] Feedback on GnuCash 3.903

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:27:53 EDT 2020

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 21:04:41 +0200
From: Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
To: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
Cc: David Reiser <dbreiser at icloud.com>, D <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>, mark
	sattolo <mh.satto at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [GNC-dev] Feedback on GnuCash 3.903

Op vrijdag 5 juni 2020 20:58:29 CEST schreef David Reiser:
> > On Jun 5, 2020, at 2:29 PM, Geert Janssens
> > <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:> Op vrijdag 5 juni 2020 19:55:29

> > > In its current form, the user experience is waaaaaayyyy worse. My
> > > use of
> > > 3.903 (Mac OS 10.15.5) has been quite limited. For several cycles
> > > of opening Gnucash, the only account I had open was a single
> > > credit card account (+ the Accounts tab). I was working on getting
> > > aqbanking to work, and had to edit the environment file to get
> > > logging working. I didn?t immediately change the column widths
> > > because appearance wasn?t my primary goal. There now appears to
> > > be no way to reset the default column widths.
> > > If I close any credit card or checking account tab, opening any of
> > > them again gives me the enormously wide description column and the
> > > absurdly narrow transfer account column.
> > >
> > > So the ?one time action? appears to be unannounced and irreversible.
> > > Unless
> > > there?s a bug, you?re going to get 10 times as many complaints
> > > about register behavior as you?ve seen in the past.
> >
> > Did you actually select "Windows"->"Use as default for this register
> > group" after you changed the column widths to your satisfaction ?
> >
> > If you did and it still reverts to other column widths after
> > reopening, that would indeed be a bug.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert
>
> No I hadn?t. Thanks for the direction. I had looked in a couple places
> for a reset style command, but I was too focussed on ?register? rather
> than ?window?.

Would another location the the menus make more sense to you ? We can still
move the commands around.

> With the new column width setting arrangement, is it still necessary
> to keep the ?stretch another column before you can shrink Description
width?
> behavior?

Good question. Personally I have always considered this to be a user
experience wart, but so far nobody has decided to remove it.

If I remember correctly this was changed as part of the new register
project, but that never got
stable enough to be included.

Regards,

Geert

Hi,

I also would be unhappy with not being able to set per account register
column widths.
It's great there is a default by register type, but I go to a lot of trouble
to set column widths exactly as I like, because I don't like to run GnuCash
full screen so I can compare to other windows.

One question I have is what happens with columns widths for accounts opened
with 'Open with subaccounts'?

Regards, Chris Good