[GNC-dev] Patelco stopped supporting OFX... other options

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jun 18 12:47:05 EDT 2020

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 8:54 AM, jean laroche <ripngo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/18/2020 8:49 AM, Fross, Michael wrote:
>> Thanks Jean for this...might be a great resource for all of us.  It would be nice to not have to leverage a webserver on the client side and just call the API.  Is that possible?  Might be a lot simpler.  Then the only real task is converting to OFX or CSV.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> mmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "leverage a webserver on the client side". The web server is only there to obtain the access token, and I think you only do that once (per bank).
>
> Once you have your access tokens, you only need to make calls to the API, so a tiny python app will do that easily, and converting to an OFX output is quite easy (there's python support for creating OFX files etc). I intend on writing that today or tomorrow and see whether the full workflow works as expected.
> J.

Jean,

This is interesting. It sounds like OAUTH, where the mini-webserver redirects to the bank's website for authentication and gets a token back, but OAUTH tokens are supposed to be single-use and expire. The fact that neither seems to be the case is a bit worrying. Does plaid provide the source code for this web server?

Regards,
John Ralls