[GNC-dev] translating python - how to generate pot file?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Mar 1 04:57:37 EST 2020

Op zondag 1 maart 2020 07:43:57 CET schreef c.holtermann at gmx.de:
> Hello,
>
> I don't have gettext 0.20. That disables potfile generation.
> It would be helpful if that message was shown when trying to
> make pot.

Fair point.

> If I remove that condition in CMakeList.txt pot file gets build.
> I'll work with that one to provide german translations for the
> python strings.

There is a reason pot file generation is disabled if you don't have gettext
0.20. The pot file generated with older versions is incomplete. You should not
use it to create or update translations because you will lose some existing
translations.

At the time of this writing we're aware of one translation message that will
be ommitted: developer_name in gnucash.appdata.xml.in.

In order to continue you may add this string back manually to your generated
gnucash.pot before doing translation work.

Regards,

Geert