[GNC-dev] Single User Installation location on Linux

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Mar 5 03:43:44 EST 2020

David,

I'm interested where you got the recommendation to install into $HOME/.local
from ? Perhaps this is a practice used by some distros in specific ?

Op donderdag 5 maart 2020 02:47:36 CET schreef David Cousens:
> If I create a directory .apps under $HOME then GnuCash installs to it
> without any problem but no link from $HOME/.local/bin to the executable in
> $HOME/.apps  is created by the installation and the user would have to
> create this this manually. Once this is done GnuCash seems to run  fine from
> $HOME/.apps as a single user app.

How do you start gnucash when installed in $HOME/.local/bin ?
What's different with doing so from $HOME/.apps ?

> The question is do we need to change the recommendation for installing under
> $HOME/.local on the wiki and what should we change it to? If it is agreed
> this is necessary I will modify the wiki to suit.

That will depend a bit on the history behind the choice for $HOME/.local in
the first place.

Regards,

Geert