[GNC-dev] Transaction matcher, code to detect many-to-one matches?

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Thu May 7 05:20:42 EDT 2020

It's very non-trivial. Consider simplified examples:

OFX
02/01/20 DESC $25
04/01/20 DESC $25
06/01/20 DESC $25

Account
01/01/20 DESC $25
03/01/20 DESC $25
03/01/20 DESC $25
05/01/20 DESC $29

They all could match each other. There's always a score that exists between
any OFX-split and Account-split. eg the first splits will have a high
score, and the last lines will have a low score due to the amount
discrepancy. The automatcher should prepare a match list that maximises the
"good" matches e.g. 02/01/20(OFX) to 01/01/20(account), and does not
attempt matches below an arbitrary threshold e.g. 04/01/20(OFX) to
05/01/20(account).

The answer will lie somewhere in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matching_(graph_theory)