[GNC-dev] Is the import match map still required?

Christian Gruber christian.gruber at posteo.de
Sat May 23 18:03:52 EDT 2020

Hi devs,

Meanwhile, I'm studying the bayesian import matching algorithm quite
intensively. There is one question, I was often asking myself and which
I want to ask you now. The same question was also asked in the german
mailing list a few days ago.

Is it really necessary to work with a separate "import match map"
instead of the imported transaction data directly? The import match map
contains matching information from earlier imports, but do the imported
transactions not contain the same information? I mean instead of
querying token occurrences in this import match map for instance,
couldn't the bayesian algorithm get the same information by querying the
already imported transactions? Is this a performance consideration or
are there further reasons?

Regards,
Christian