[GNC-dev] Request to move translation to Gnu Translation Project

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 10:52:26 EST 2020

Am 26.11.20 um 16:28 schrieb John Ralls:
> Frank, I'm not sure what you mean about the string-freeze/prerelease process. As we approach a major release we do a series of beta releases and typically impose a string freeze after the one a month before the scheduled major release date. TP gets all of those releases and the (3 or 4 active) TP translators generally have updated translations ready in time for the major release. There's no pre-release or string freeze process for minor releases, TP or otherwise, and AFAICT the only non-TP translator who routinely updates between minor releases is you (TP's Ukrainian and Croatian translators have been very good at keeping up to date, albeit with a one-release lag because of the TP's policy of working only from release tarballs).

The betas help for a new major release, but not for the more frequent
minor releases.

>From https://translationproject.org/html/maintainers.html
2. Using the Translation Project
:
Preferably you make a prerelease a week or so earlier and announce this
to the TP, so the translators get a chance to update their PO files
before the actual release of your package, so the release can go out
fully translated into several languages.

Ideally we would declare string freeze 2 weeks before any release and
send a recent pot file to TP. So translators would have a chance to
update their po files before the release.

Regards
Frank