[GNC-dev] Just curious, images to file or MySQL

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Dec 7 12:38:40 EST 2021

> On Dec 7, 2021, at 1:40 AM, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since GNC is based on XML and MySQL, how hard would it be to upgrade to link the code to a MySQL database format for document saving (i.e.check images) instead of just an XML hard link to a file?
>
> Even though there seems to be a limit on the number of transactions that you can convert from XML to MySQL. 3 years works, 30 doesn't.  I have 30+ in my ledger and cannot get it to convert from XML to MySQL. My dad's only has less than 4 years and converts fine to MySQL.
>
> Saving to an image file currently limits you to one drive and a specific file.  MySQL would allow saving to wherever the database of images exists as a list of blobs.  Hard drive upgrades would be much simpler.
>
> Again just curious.

There is no programmatic limit in GnuCash on the number of transactions that GnuCash can store using the MySQL backend, so you're most likely hitting some limitation on the server side. You can run GnuCash with --log gnc.backend.sql=debug to get details of the insert queries and server error responses; combined with your MySQL logs you should be able to pretty quickly diagnose the problem. If you find that GnuCash's backend is doing something dumb please file a bug.

As for document image links they're URIs so you can put them anywhere that you can access with a URI. A web server on your LAN is an easy to implement option.

Regards,
John Ralls