[GNC-dev] Help documentation (gtkbuilder part)

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:52:11 EST 2021

Am 17.02.21 um 05:15 schrieb John Ralls:

>> On Feb 16, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Most of the static part of the GUI is in the glade files, which are XML.
>> It should not be very hard to XSLT the nodes for the structure, and
>> finally labels and tooltips.
>
> Dunno about most. There's a surprising amount of hand-coded UI. There's certainly enough that we do need to consider the GtkBuilder files.
>
> Labels and tooltips aren't this problem: xgettext knows how to extract them into gnucash.pot. That's not to say it's perfect, there are surely issues with keeping tooltips up to date and translated. It's just not the online help manual issue.

gettext can help in several ways: link to sources, optional comments,
strings and finally their translation. But the meaning of a string can
not easily derived. Perhaps we should "Translator comments"?

> I don't think that integrating the help into the GtkBuilder files is an option for two reasons: First, I think I'm the only one who edits them in a regular editor. Everyone else uses Glade and AFAIK it won't write elements it doesn't know about and it wouldn't know about our customer help nodes.

The other way: use files in gtkbuilder to update the source for
https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-help/GUIMenus.html
It is currently not direct possible because
1. some authors created them as table, others the one or other form of list,
2. the amount of redundancy.

> Second, even without Glade they're still XML and that has exactly the same problem that Docbook does: It's scary to non-programmers.
I said xslt and did not define the taret language.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

Regards
Frank