[GNC-dev] Help documentation

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Feb 23 07:13:54 EST 2021

A complex topic is brought up here.

I agree with the issues you bring up. I don't know if or how we can solve them
all.

In the gnucash project we currently only have experience with docbook for user
oriented documentation and doxygen for our api documentation.

On the premise what we have so far is too complicated, I started looking at a
few other projects to figure out how they manage their help. The hope is
someone else has already solved this problem. I have only looked at a couple
of projects so far.

It may be disappointing that many of the mature projects out there have a
similar setup as we do (gimp, kontact, ...) Probably not surprising
considering these projects are around for a long time and options were limited
back in the days.

But there are a few alternative approaches:

* Libreoffice unsurprisingly handles user documentation in libreoffice
documents [1]. It is however not clear whether that also comprises their help
documentation.
They have set up a collaborative platform via nextcloud (which ships with a
collaborative word processor, akin to Microsoft's 365 office or Google's
Docs). I don't have an account there so I can't evaluate how that works
exactly.
An addition they use weblate for string translations [2]. That's a selfhosted
weblate instance, and it has a help project next to their ui project. Looking
at the source files referenced there, the strings are extracted from xhp
files. I don't know exactly what those are (yet).
So far I haven't discovered yet how much developer skills a documentation or
help contributor needs (versioning system, build recipes,...)

* Firefox has another strategy [3]. Their help system is based on reStructured
text files that sit next to the functionality. The documentation build system
picks them up from there for further processing. Again it's not clear whether
help is treated differently from guides and manuals.
Adding documentation does require tweaking build scripts (updating variables
and running builds to verify the new docs).
Their devel documentation has a large section on localization, but it's
focused on UI localization. So far I haven't found how they localize their
help.

That's what I have found so far. Curiously it seems help is always treated as
a second class citizen. While it's there, it's hard to find how it's managed.

This is meant as a starting point for further research. Others are invited and
strongly encouraged to add more references or details.

Regards,

Geert

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo
[2] https://translations.documentfoundation.org/