[GNC-dev] How to get Report Development Environment Working in Windows

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 2 20:48:14 EDT 2021

> On Sep 2, 2021, at 4:55 PM, flywire <flywire0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to use
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports#Development_Environment in
> Win10. The Technique to reload reports without restarting GnuCash is not
> working and I think the main problem is not following:
>
>> Finally, you should also extract a GnuCash source tar ball in
> ~/GnuCash/CustomReport/ to have access to the Scheme files referenced in
> this page.
>
> Does this mean extract the contents of gnucash-4.6.setup.exe
> under %USERPROFILE%/GnuCash/CustomReport? Which files are actually needed
> where (required path of one file as an example would be good)?

Not exactly. A source tarball is an archive of the sources made with the Unix `tar` program; we distribute two variants, gnucash-4.6.tar.bz2 and gnucash-4.6.tar.gz; the trailing extensions indicate the compression method used.

It looks like much of that page dates from GnuCash 2.6 that used an earlier version of Guile than we use now. You don't really need that though. What you need is to set up two environment variables, $Env:GUILE_LOAD_PATH and $Env:GUILE_COMPILED_LOAD_PATH:

(Assuming Powershell)
$Env:GUILE_LOAD_PATH="c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\share\guile\2.2;c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\share\guile\site\2.2"
$Env:GUILE__COMPILED_LOAD_PATH="c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\lib\guile\2.2\ccache;c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\lib\guile\2.2\site-ccache"

Also adjust your path to include "c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin"

With that setup a guile instance run from that shell should be able to find all of the modules it needs. Note that none of this is needed for GnuCash to execute your config-user.scm as it sets up the paths for itself.

Regards,
John Ralls