[GNC-dev] Report with Fiscal Year

Borden borden_c at tutanota.com
Tue Sep 7 20:01:52 EDT 2021

> 1:
> after some cooling down of this discussion, you should create a pull
> request against
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/po/glossary/gnc-glossary.txt

I don't know what everybody's hysterical about, myself. I think using proper accounting terminology is useful, so  I'm happy to contribute effort to it. All other open source software I've used strives for technical accuracy, so I'm happy to help GNC achieve the same.

> If someone from the Commonwealt volunteers to maintain it, we can create
> a "british" version glossary/en_GB.po and upload it to
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/gnucash/glossary/

I think you misunderstood. IFRS stands for "International Financial Reporting Standards" and have been adopted by most countries outside  the United States. So if you want a vocabulary that the most accountants worldwide will have studied, IFRS is your reference.

Think of IFRS as  the ISO  standard of financial reporting. And, like most international standards and laws, the US has to be different and invent their own.

US GAAP is the only other "dominant" accounting standard because most of the world's financial traffic goes through their stock exchanges. Having said that, I believe most US exchanges allow listers to choose US GAAP or IFRS for reporting. As such, I haven't been trained in US GAAP and only know that it's not IFRS. But I'd nevertheless be happy to poke through the standards - if I can get a hold of them - to pick up differences where they exist.

A US CPA would be even better at commenting, assuming that they know anything about IFRS.

Again, I'm happy to lend my knowledge and resources to GNC if the project thinks it's valuable. If this is not the direction GNC wants to go in, I respect that. I'll still use the software because it does what I need it to do better than QB.

But that wasn't the original problem. This all started because I voiced my support for having designating a per-file fiscal year-end. But if you want to know what the "best" name is for the checkbox, I've given my opinion.