[GNC-dev] Generic Import Transaction Matcher separation of front end and backend

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 23:51:01 EDT 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: john <jralls at ceridwen.us>
Sent: Thursday, 9 September 2021 4:55 AM
To: Chris Good <goodchris96 at gmail.com>
Cc: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC-dev] Generic Import Transaction Matcher separation of
front end and backend

> On Sep 8, 2021, at 2:26 AM, Chris Good <goodchris96 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm adding an "Append" checkbox to the bottom of the matcher which the
> user can set to enable the
>
> imported Description to be appended to the Description on the matched
> transaction, rather than overriding it.
>
> I've added a pointer (append_text) to the checkbox widget to the
> _main_matcher_info  struct defined in import-main-matcher.c.
>
> GNCImportMainMatcher is defined in import-main-matcher.h:
>
>    typedef struct _main_matcher_info GNCImportMainMatcher;
>
> What's the right way to enable gnc_import_process_trans_item() in
> import-backend.c to use
>
> gtk_toggle_button_get_active (_main_matcher_info->append_text) and
> still keep the existing separation between the
>
> front and back ends?

You're thinking in the wrong direction: You need to go in the other
direction: Add a gboolean member to GNCTransInfo and set it in
import-main-matcher before calling gnc_import_process_trans_item, which will
test your new member and append or replace according to its value.

> I guess it is wrong to move the definition of _main_matcher_info  to
> import-main-matcher.h
>
> and then include import-main-matcher.h in import-backend.c?

It sure would. That would create a circular dependency. We have enough
spaghetti already.

Regards,
John Ralls

Thanks John!