Quicken Import Issues

Carol Champagne carol@io.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:15:52 -0500

Hi,

I'm new to Gnucash, and I have some questions about the Quicken import.  I
imported several years' worth of data from Quicken to Gnucash, and I
noticed a  few issues with the importing function:

1.  In Quicken, my reconciled data shows up with an "R" in the "Clr" field.
However, the same data shows up in Gnucash with a "c" in that field, and Gnucash
seems to interpret this as unreconciled.  I have several thousand transactions,
so reconciling them all again would take a while!

I checked one of the QIF files, and the reconciled transactions all show "X" in
the C field.  I also noticed that the Gnucash documentation contradicts this:
"The C field represents the clearing/reconciliation state of the transaction. An
x or X in this field means the transaction is "Cleared", a * means the
transaction is Reconciled."   The order of this seems to be reversed---the "X"
in Quicken means "Reconciled," while the "*" means "Cleared."

So is this a bug in the software, or am I leaving out a step?

2.  The Import "Select" function doesn't allow loading of multiple QIF files, so
it is cumbersome if you are importing several files.   Also, the "Select"
function does not default to the last directory used, so several keystrokes are
required to find the next QIF file to load.  Can this be changed to allow
multiple selected files to be loaded, and to default to the last directory used?

3.  I loaded several QIF files, and once they were loaded, I wanted to check the
original QIF file names against the "Loaded Files" list to make sure I had
included all of the files.  I could not find a way to check this, because when
the "Select" box was open, I couldn't scroll down on the "Loaded Files" box to
compare file names.  Can you change the interface to resemble an ftp program,
so  it is easier to compare "from" and "to" locations before pressing the "OK"
button?

So far, the data looks good from the import---I only found a few duplicates, so
it appears to be working correctly.  I just want to find a way around having to
"re-reconcile" all my data! Is there a way to do a multiple-transaction select
on the Reconcile screen?

Thanks for any info on this!

Carol Champagne