Removing a LCK file

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:37:24 +1100

Ed Bacon writes:

 > When I start gnucash and try to open my files I get a message that I need
 > to remove the LCK file.  As root I searched the entire filesystem
 > for a lock file and couldn't find one that belonged to gnucash.  Have
 > any of you experienced this?  If so, could you give me advice on how
 > to access my files again?

Unfortunately, that message can come up even when the lock file isn't
the problem.

Do you have a recent (but not absolutely current backup of your files
that was working before you had your current difficulties, and hasn't
been modified since?

If so, MAKE A COPY OF YOUR THE CURRENT FILE AND YOUR BACKUP and put at least one copy on a
seperate medium in a safe place.

Next, copy the backup and the current version to a fresh directory,
and try to open one, then the other.  What happens?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We are excited and optimistic about its usage going
forward and, yes, we can teach penguins the military
close-order drill", Mark Norton, US Department of Defense.