Some questions

Brian Schramm bschramm@schramms.yi.org
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:11:25 -0500 (EST)

>From what I see on your web site, gnucash is quite flexible.  I run
my own consulting business and since  I am a one man shop, I cannot afford
the time away from bill-able hours to spend in entering a bill into a
complicated system.  I also want to use it for my household reports.
Although your system looks like it has everything I want, how hard is it
to use?  This is the general stuff I would be wanting to do.

99% of my bill-able is time.  So, when I am done at the end of the day
with time spent on a client's request, I want to pop into a screen and
enter my hours for that customer as well as the description of the work I
did.  I want the program to calculate the dollar amount based on a rate
for that client in that clients profile entered when I get a new client.
Then once a week I want a detailed bill sent out to the client by the
clients preferred method (fax, email, postal).  I want to automate as much
of this as possible.  When I get a payment in, I want to pop into a screen
and enter the amount, type, and client.  Once a month I want to run
reports to show how the business is doing.

Also, I want this to handle my normal checking and savings accounts to
have a way to transfer the income from the business side to my personal
side for me to use from my home account.  And I will be using the home
account like a checkbook.  Different categories for bills and expenses so
I can report on what area I am waiting my money on et.  This seems to be
in the program by default so I see no trouble there.

Can this handle the above ideas?  Also, can you give me an idea as to how
much effort it would take to get to a level like what I want?

Thanks for your help in this.

Brian Schramm
brian@schramms.yi.org
www.linuxexpert.org