gnucash locks when running on a remote workstation

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:52:46 -0800 (PST)

  I believe that I tried to find a solution to this problem before, but now
the need is critical. Gnucash is installed on the server, in the default
/usr/bin/ location. It works just fine on this machine.

  However, if we try to use it from the networked workstation, it keeps
locking and crashing on us. My wife tries to use gnucash from that
workstation. From an aterm, she telnets in to the server, then invokes
gnucash. The main window displays just fine, but when entering a transaction
or editing and several windows are open, the application will crash: totally
shut down. The only recourse is for me to su to root and remove the LCK and
LNK files.

  Is there a better way to run gnucash on a network? We're both not using it
at the same time, but we're using it on two different machines. If this is
the accepted approach for running gnucash remotely, I'd appreciate
suggestions on how to determine why it's crashing on us.

  BTW, the server is running RH 6.1 (2.2.17 kernel) and the client is
running RH 6.2 (2.2.14 kernel). They (and the other hosts) are connected by
the standard, TCP/IP fast-ethernet setup.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)