gnucash locks when running on a remote workstation

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:53:37 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Rich Shepard said:

>   I believe that I tried to find a solution to this problem before, but now
> the need is critical. Gnucash is installed on the server, in the default
> /usr/bin/ location. It works just fine on this machine.
>
>   However, if we try to use it from the networked workstation, it keeps
> locking and crashing on us. My wife tries to use gnucash from that
> workstation. From an aterm, she telnets in to the server, then invokes
> gnucash. The main window displays just fine, but when entering a transaction
> or editing and several windows are open, the application will crash: totally
> shut down. The only recourse is for me to su to root and remove the LCK and
> LNK files.

wow, that makes me scratch my head.

>   Is there a better way to run gnucash on a network? We're both not using it
> at the same time, but we're using it on two different machines. If this is
> the accepted approach for running gnucash remotely, I'd appreciate
> suggestions on how to determine why it's crashing on us.

OK.

>   BTW, the server is running RH 6.1 (2.2.17 kernel) and the client is

does the server have a screen attached to it?  If you run gnucash
on the server displayuing on the server screen, does it also crash?

what version of gnucash is on the server?

To further debug, you need to send us the following info:

installd gdb (gnu debugger) if not already installed.

at the command line:  gdb gnucash
you get a prompt, type: r    (for 'run')

after it crashes, type 'where', and mail in that listing.
('where' provides a stack trace)

If gnucash stops in gdb before it crashes, type c (for 'continue)

you may also want to examine the shared libraries you have installed,
use 'ldconfig -p', its possible you have an old library on the server.

--linas