gnc-prices is toast?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
21 Nov 2000 10:40:45 -0500

Jeff Clark <jeffclark@linuxfan.com> writes:

> Shouldn't RPM complain if I try to install a package for which required
> RPMs are missing?  I got no such complaints when I installed gnucash.
> Anyhoo, to answer your questions:

Well, it depends.  I don't think the GnuCash RPM specification
actually requires an slib rpm.  Also, RPM can only find dependencies
on C libraries, not Scheme or PERL libraries.  So, no, it probably
wouldn't complain.

> nogates 8> ls -ld /usr/local/lib/swig*
> drwxr-xr-x   9 root     root         1024 Nov 16 20:47
> /usr/local/lib/swig1.3
> drwxr-xr-x   8 root     root         1024 Oct 13  1999
> /usr/local/lib/swig_lib
>
> nogates 2> rpm -qa | grep slib
> slib-2c6-1

Ok, I think both of those should be new-enough.  What version of
umb-scheme do you have installed?

> Well, that's certainly possible.  I've been putzing around with gnucash
> quite a bit lately, including downloading the source and trying to
> build/install from that, to get around my problem, so it's hard to say
> exactly what I have installed now.  However, as I mentioned before,
> adding the path Dave suggested did solve the problem.

But it works for me without that change, which implies something weird
is going on.  So, I'd like to find out what you're missing (or what
extra I have) to actually get it working.

> One more point: I not a Perl hacker and I haven't installed any Perl
> modules other than what I need to get this running.  If gnucash depends
> upon Perl modules that are not part of the standard Perl distribution
> (as it apparently does), the installation should be made dependent upon
> those modules somehow (or they should be included in the gnucash RPM).

Including perl modules can be challening.  I have no idea how to do
it, personally.  Nor do I know how to make Perl-module dependencies in
an RPM.  Following the dependencies, gnc-prices depends upon Quote
(which is supplied by Gnucash), and _that_ depends on LWP::UserAgent
and HTTP::Request::Common, both of which are a part of libwww-perl.

So, you can either install libwww-perl, or you can use CPAN to install
the appropriate modules.

I have no idea why you needed to change gnc-prices, unless you
installed perl code into non-standard locations.

Could you send me the error messages you received when you actually
run gnc-prices without your change?