Stock transaction issue

Carol Champagne carol@gnumatic.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 20:24:35 -0500

Hi,
Today I noticed something strange in the way Gnucash imports my stock
transactions from Quicken.  I'm using version 1.5.2, so that may be an
issue...

My stock transactions in Quicken are all done with "BuyX" or "SellX"
actions---meaning that the money comes from a brokerage-related bank
account to buy the stock, then puts the stock shares in the brokerage
account..

In Gnucash, it looks like the commission is counted twice in these
transactions.  Here's an example:
I buy 100 shares of Stock A at $10 each, paying a $25 commission.   I
enter it in Quicken as a BuyX transaction:  100 shares X $10/share + $25
commission = $1025 taken from the Brokerage Checking account.

So in Gnucash, I would expect the transaction to look like this:

                                   Dr.                   Cr.
Brokerage: Stock A (100X$10)      1000
Commission Expense                  25
Brokerage Checking                                      1025

Instead, Gnucash imports the transaction as this:
                                    Dr.                    Cr.
Brokerage: Stock A  (100X$10.25)   1025
Commission Expense                   25
Schwab Checking                                          1050

So the total dollar value of the stock is incorrect, and it looks like
Gnucash is adjusting the share price to compensate.

The Quicken "SellX" transaction appears to have the same problem, where
the commission is double-counted.  I checked the QIF file, and as far as
I could tell, the data is coming over correctly from Quicken.

Has anyone else seen this?  Let me know if you need more information to
check into this.

Thanks,

Carol