Automatically splitting incoming money?

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:57:07 -0700

 writes:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 09:44:20AM +1100, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> > That's correct.  What I (and presumably others) will want to be able
> > to do, is have the correct GST calculated when a transaction is made,
> > and placed in that GST account.
>
> So GST sounds basically identical to what's just called "sales tax" in
> the US.  It might make sense to have a "taxable purchase" accelerator
> of some kind that will add a split for a preference-settable tax rate
> and a preference-settable tax account on the transaction; you enter
> the total purchase amount (price + GST) and it computes the GST; there
> should probably be a settable rate field, with the default being the
> preference value.

I'm definitely not an expert on VAT or GST taxes, but I don't think
they are quite the same thing as a sales tax for one reason: sales
taxes are the responsibility of the merchant, while it sounds like the
GST is the responsibility of the consumer. So the total you get on
your receipt in the US includes the tax, while in Australia it does
not. Is that correct?

dave