Income -> Expense?

Eric Schwartz emschwar@rmi.net
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:18:07 -0600

I'm going on blind faith here, but I think I may have accidentally
done something right.  Namely, I set up a Salary account, a Checking
and Savings account, and am typing in all the transactions manually,
instead of importing them (as that's just been too darn confusing).

But, I have noticed something odd.  I paid for a series of massages out
of my checking account, and when I do, I notice that it goes under
"Withdrawl" in the Checking account register, and under the Expense
column in the "Health Care: Misc" account register.  So far, so good.

Now, I input my first paycheque.  Out of that, a certain amount goes
to paying for health insurance, so I create an Insurance subaccount
under Health Care (account type: expense), and put that as a Charge
under my Salary account.  Only by doing so, it puts it under "Rebate"
in the Health Care account!  What the heck!  I suppose it doesn't matter
terribly, in that I know it's an expense, and I can cope with whatever
sign gnucash wants to throw my way, but really, this is baffling; when
I transfer from one account it's an Expense, but from another, and it's
a Rebate?

-=Eric, certain to be attacked by marauding accountants one of these
        days, just you wait.
--
We have them just where they want us.  -- James Kirk