Newbie's experience with gnucash

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:45:26 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Eric Schwartz wrote:

> Right, but money has to come in the system somehow, otherwise, I'd never
> make any money.
> It sounds like it comes in by way of Equity-typed accounts, which serve as
> a "source" of money
> that other accounts can draw from, yes?

Kind of...

> And how does money get into this Income account, then?  Do I have to
> transfer it from an
> Equity account?

...but not like that. The money doesn't "get into" the income account, it
comes from it. Create the income account, transfer your hundred bucks from
it to a cash account. Cash is an "asset" which you "have". "income" is
like a hole money comes out of... it then has to go to an asset; it could
also go straight into a liability account if it's paying off a loan (since
the liability account has a *negative* value, it would reduce the
negativeness of it, meaning your debt had gone down).

> Sure, and that's why I'm investing all this effort in complaining and
> learning, instead
> of just throwing my hands up, and saying, "Nevermind, it's all a load of
> rubbish".  'Coz
> I'm sure it's not; it's just harder to figure out than I might have
> strictly deemed necessary.

Thankyou for having the patience :-) It's an odd system at first, but when
you "get" it, it kicks *ass*!

> -=Eric, hoping this makes more sense than his first mail

I for one know where you're coming from - if the others start to get
frustrated, I'd always be happy to continue this offlist with you.

ABS

--

 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RF.Cx/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/