Tracking 'retained losses' and mortgage payments

Wesley wsheldahl@qx.net
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:56:27 -0400

Hi,

I've been using GnuCash for a few weeks now and love the information it
gives back, without all that much effort.  I just have a couple of
accounting best/common practice questions.

First, for balances in my checking and savings account, I set up a
"Retained Earnings" account of type Equity.  Next, for my unsecured loan
balances (credit cards, line of credit, etc.), I set up a "Retained
Losses" account, also an Equity account.  Seems to work, but is this
generally the "right" or best way to handle those sorts of things at
initial setup?

My next question has to do with tracking my home mortgage payments.
Here's what I've done:  I entered an Asset worth the purchase price of
the house when I bought it, and a Liability that's the remaining
principal owed on the mortgage.  I think the difference went to equity,
which would make sense.  The problem is that I don't get a monthly
statement saying how much of each month's payment is for principal and
how much for interest.  I just get a yearly summary.  Also, each monthly
payment is divided among "principal and interest" (lumped together),
escrow, escrow adjustment, deficiency amount, and "other".  How far do
all you veteran users go towards breaking out all this sort of thing?
Do you just estimate the break-down month by month and then make
corrections once a year when you have the statement?  Do you ask the
lender for an actual amortization chart and use it for reference month
by month?  Or am I making this way more complicated then need be??

I'm not interested in complicated accounting just for the sake of
complicated accounting, but I would like to record this stuff accurately
at whatever level of precision is appropriate.  Thanks very much for
your advice.

--
Wes Sheldahl
wsheldahl@qx.net