Printing reports in background

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:07:49 +1100

Jason writes:
 > I'm a newbie to the list, so I apoligize if this question has already
 > been asked, but is there a way to print reports in the background
 > without loading up the gui?
 >
 > I'm a current quicken user (trying to convert!), and the one thing
 > I've always wanted in quicken is a way to do this, so I could wake up
 > on a Monday morning and have a copy of the weekly report sitting on
 > the printer.  Since I only use windoze on my laptop, printing to my
 > home PC is not very convienient.

We have the beginnings of such a feature, but not the full monty, yet.

What we do have is the ability to run guile scripts with access to the
GnuCash engine, which you can do by running gnucash with the
--evaluate option.

What we haven't done is set things up to make this straightforward.
There's issues like

* The printing is done through the gtkhtml widget (the Gtk+ widget that
displays the report in the 1.5.x version is also responsible for
dealing with printing).  What GUI
initialization needs to be done before we can print?

* The reports are designed to take an "options" structure that is
rather complex and created by the GUI.  We really need a function
to create that options structure for us to make this work?

There's a bit to do, therefore.  If you're a coder, you can speed up
the process by addressing these issues.  If not, rest assured it's
something the developers want to do and we'll look at it before too
long.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net