Some suggestions

Andrea Borgia bab0069@iperbole.bologna.it
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:15:11 +0200

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:09:29 -0700, you wrote:

>Reply-to's are considered bad: =

I've read and understood that document, but I rather strongly disagree
with its author. I have a comment that I might send you offlist if
you're interested.

>Consider configuring your mailer to automatically add the cc line.

This I consider a bad thing: every time I get a reply from you or
other people on the list, I get two copies and I have to check in the
list itself to see if it was a private reply or not (granted, I could
look at the headers to get the same info, but then again why have
separate folders for each list and for personal mail when you still
have to look at the headers?). Not to mention the fact that list
processing load is doubled for no good reason.

Looking at my other mailing-lists, I noticed that reply works the
logical way even for ones that do not have reply-to because their
users set the To: with the name of the list. This solution seems to be
good: only on the mua side (send message to list address, not cc), no
mta messing involved. Only a side effect: pasting is required for
private offlist replies, but considering that most if not all of the
replies are going to be onlist this is not a major issue, to me at
least.

Could we suggest people to do this way? Sending the mail to the
mailing-list address and stop using CC seems simple enough.

TIA,
Andrea.

--
Alias:  borgia@students.cs.unibo.it