Dog chasing dependency tail on 1.4.7 to 1.4.11 upgrade

Peter Spotts pspotts@alum.mit.edu
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 20:58:40 GMT

Folks,

In trying to upgrade from GC 1.4.7 to 1.4.11, I ran into a somewhat=20
circular dependency problem. 1.4.11 wanted libxml.so.2, so I went to the=
=20
web, found the package, and tried to install it. Libxml balked because i=
t=20
didn't see libhistory.so.3 or libreadline.so.3. I hit the web again,=20
found the packages and tried to install. Problem? These conflicted with =

libhist and libread so.4 packages already on my machine (running mandrak=
e=20
7.2 distribution). So it seems I can't install 1.4.11 because it wants a=
=20
library that depends on other libraries that won't install because they =

are older than the libraries I have.=20

If you've followed me to this point, I'll buy you coffee the next time=20
you hit Boston. Any suggestions on how to break this vicious cycle?=20
(That's worth an additional bagel or muffin!)

Best regards,

Pete Spotts

Peter N. Spotts
Science and technology correspondent