Dog chasing dependency tail on 1.4.7 to 1.4.11 upgrade

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:01:21 -0700

Peter Spotts writes:
> Folks,
>
> In trying to upgrade from GC 1.4.7 to 1.4.11, I ran into a somewhat
> circular dependency problem. 1.4.11 wanted libxml.so.2, so I went to the
> web, found the package, and tried to install it. Libxml balked because it
> didn't see libhistory.so.3 or libreadline.so.3. I hit the web again,
> found the packages and tried to install. Problem? These conflicted with
> libhist and libread so.4 packages already on my machine (running mandrake
> 7.2 distribution). So it seems I can't install 1.4.11 because it wants a
> library that depends on other libraries that won't install because they
> are older than the libraries I have.

Arnold, do you know why the mandrake rpms depend on libxml2?
libxml2 isn't part of gnome 1.2 or 1.4, so most people won't
have it. Would it be possible to create a new mandrake rpm
using libxml1?

thanks,
dave