Dog chasing dependency tail on 1.4.7 to 1.4.11 upgrade

Arnold Troeger stssart@bkk.unocal.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:44:37 +0700

Dave Peticolas wrote:

> Peter Spotts writes:
> > Folks,
> >
> > In trying to upgrade from GC 1.4.7 to 1.4.11, I ran into a somewhat
> > circular dependency problem. 1.4.11 wanted libxml.so.2, so I went to the
> > web, found the package, and tried to install it. Libxml balked because it
> > didn't see libhistory.so.3 or libreadline.so.3. I hit the web again,
> > found the packages and tried to install. Problem? These conflicted with
> > libhist and libread so.4 packages already on my machine (running mandrake
> > 7.2 distribution). So it seems I can't install 1.4.11 because it wants a
> > library that depends on other libraries that won't install because they
> > are older than the libraries I have.
>
> Arnold, do you know why the mandrake rpms depend on libxml2?
> libxml2 isn't part of gnome 1.2 or 1.4, so most people won't
> have it. Would it be possible to create a new mandrake rpm
> using libxml1?
>
> thanks,
> dave

Dave,
I think I understand what happened.   I recently installed xmms-1.2.4, which
requires libxml2.  OK, I'll back them out and rebuild the rpm tonight.  I'll
put it up on krondo.com.  I'm also working from a generic 7.2 distribution
with the normal and security updates from Mandrake.  I normally build rpms
from source code and so I evidently managed to avoid the libxml conflicts
Peter found.  No problem.

Best regards,
Arnold

--
Arnold Troeger                          Unocal Thailand
Phone:  011-66-2-545-5456               5th Floor, Tower 3, SCB Park Plaza