tracking cash

Paul Tatham ptatham@sympatico.ca
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:18:22 -0400

"Michael P. Soulier" wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:25:17PM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:
>
> > Every once in a while I go "I probably spent about 80% of this on
> > lunches and some percent on something else and some percent on
> > something else" and I make up fake transactions transferring 80% of the
> > money in the cash account to Expenses:Food:Dining-Out and the same for
> > the rest.
>
>     So, how do you know if those transactions balance? You can reconcile a
> bank account with your statement, but how do you know the other accounts
> balance?
>     I realize that this is a basic gnucash question, but I don't think I've
> quite "gotten it" yet.

 If the amount of cash in your pocket is equal to the amount showing in
the account after you've reconciled all you cash transactions you're
done. More likely you spent some money that you didn't account for in
Gnucash and you simply create a transaction for the difference (reduce
CASH account and increase CASHBLOWN account). But if you have the
reverse situation, more money in your pocket than you cash account says
you have... well I have some ideas about what to do with the surplus.

paul