Additional comment re: User Survey

whitley@acm.org whitley@acm.org
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 17:24:41 -0400 (EDT)

I just took the user survey, and noted a feature that is *extremely*
important to me, more than any other, is missing from the list (and
from current versions of GnuCash):

CRASH RECOVERY.

I've been bitten on the arse by the lack of crash recovery about three
times since I've started using GnuCash.  It's extremely aggravating,
especially since someone's already taken the time to generate logfiles
(which aren't especially human readable, nor particularly readable by
GnuCash, either).

This last time I lost data even though I was in the habit of "save
early, save often."  I suspect that I was bitten by the fact that
there's no user feedback whatsoever for the Save (Ctrl-S)
feature... it's not even clear whether the key shortcut is bound in
the register windows where I spend most of my time.

This is the single biggest separator for GnuCash from my concept of a
stable professional utility.  The many other features envisioned are
all rather intriguing, but I have no desire to use more advanced
features if there's no crash recovery.

The tool I used before (Balance mode in Emacs, of all things) was
primitive, to say the least.  But it was darn difficult to lose data,
due to Emacs' autosaving feature.

-- John Whitley