Impressions of 1.6.x and engine bindings for python

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:08:06 -0500

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 05:56:19PM -0700, Dave Peticolas was heard to remark:
> On 18 Aug 2001 08:01:33 +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> > Along these lines, is/are there perl/python bindings for the engine?  I
> > ask as I am developing a POS system for a small fashion retailer in NZ,
> > and rather than make my own substandard accounting system for it I would
> > like to be able to use the gnucash system by having my python app
> > directly insert entries into the gnucash datafiles.
>
> There are some perl bindings in the development version
> under src/optional. I'm not sure if they are ready to use,
> though.

Umm sort of.  Its a 'proof of concept' ...  The perl bindings work
for any call that doesn't return a glist.  We need to turn glists
into perl lists, but I haven't written the swig wrappers to do so.

Similar remarks should apply to python.  You'll need to create swig
wrappers for a few of the 'unusual' types that swig doesn't understand
(e.g. time_t, and long-long), and also wrappers for glists to convert
them to python arrays.

--linas

p.s. I presume that src/optional should probably be src/engine/optional,
to be consistent with the modularization ???

--
I'm very PUBLIC-MINDED, I'm helping a NIGERIAN get his $25,000,000 back!