"This file appears to be from a newer version of GNUcash.."

mzaugg@linuxfreemail.com mzaugg@linuxfreemail.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:28:03 -0700

I've been running Gnucash 1.4.10-1mdk (on Mandrake 8.0).

Last Sunday I had the "This file appears to be from a newer version of GNUCash.  You must upgrade GnuCash to read this file." error message pop up on me.  It seemed odd since I've worked with this version for months.

It seems similar to an old message on this list found:

http://www.gnumatic.com/pipermail/gnucash-user/2000-September/000050.html

I have no .LCK file, and I've kept all my .log and .xac files.  (I made of copy of my finances directory and I'm doing most of my playing in there.)

What *may* possibly be relevant is that Sunday I installed ddd-3.3.1-1mdk (the graphical front end to gdb.)  I tarred my finances directory *before* I installed ddd, and the untarred directory shows the same problems, so I'm not sure the install caused any of this.

Taking the error at face value (and looking for an excuse to upgrade to 1.6) I downloaded and sucessfully installed Gnucash 1.6.1.  The same error message comes up with 1.6.1.

I've deleted a few of the most recent .xac files (again, in my backup directory!) in the hopes it would pull my data from an older, working snapshot.  No such luck yet, and I've gotten rid of three or four of them.

My last (working) tarball was made a month ago, so I'll have a fair chunk of work to restore.  I've been importing the .log files into Gnumeric as a tab-deliminated file and I'll probably re-enter them that way.

Can I get some advice?  Should I keep going back with deleting .xac files or is that not the way to recover?  Is there an easier way parsing the log file?  I saw a perl script a ways back to recover from logs, should I be trying that rather than re-entering all my transactions?

Gnucash is my personal killer app.  I'll gladly re-install my system JUST TO GET IT BACK!  ;-)

 Thanks

  Mark Zaugg                                mzaugg@linuxfreemail.com

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!