tracking "debt" to charity, with cost accounting

Tim Nowaczyk zimage@upl.cs.wisc.edu
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:29:12 -0500

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:47:17AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:53:16PM -0000, Seth Gordon was heard to remark:
>
>This will keep your bank balances correct, and will also have that
>nagging balance in c/p that says 'time to cut a check to some charity'.

  I like this solution in lieu of budgeting and will probably use it.  Thanks.  I do, however, see a problem with it if I were doing my books like an accountant.  I  think we had a thread earlier (A rather heated thread) about not putting money into expense accounts until it is actualy spent.
  If I were to follow your advice every two weeks (pay-day) and never give anything to charity, then, when I close my books for the year, I'll look very charitable but have a big liability.  On my tax statements I'll have to use (expense:charity - asset:c/p) in order to calculate my taxable deductions instead of expense:charity like I should.
  As long as one makes sure to stay up to date with their giving, this is a great idea.  Though, I don't know why one would decide to go through the %10 calculations and not give. :)

  Greetings,
  Tim Nowaczyk

  <>< Truth

  Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
  	--2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV)

  Tell the Israelites to bring me(YHWH) an offering. You are to receive the offering for me from each man whose heart prompts him to give.
  	--Exodus 25:2 (NIV)