tracking "debt" to charity, with cost accounting

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:51:36 -0500

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 12:29:12PM -0500, Tim Nowaczyk was heard to remark:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:47:17AM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 03:53:16PM -0000, Seth Gordon was heard to remark:
> >
> >This will keep your bank balances correct, and will also have that
> >nagging balance in c/p that says 'time to cut a check to some charity'.
> >
>   I like this solution in lieu of budgeting and will probably use it.  Thanks.  I do, however, see a problem with it if I were doing my books like an accountant.  I  think we had a thread earlier (A rather heated thread) about not putting money into expense accounts until it is actualy spent.

Well, defacto, that is exactly how 'accounts payable' actually work.
Its just that 'real' accounts payable include reports telling you how
old the debt is, sorting them by vendor-id, tying them to check
printing, etc.

>   If I were to follow your advice every two weeks (pay-day) and never give anything to charity, then, when I close my books for the year, I'll look very charitable but have a big liability.  On my tax statements I'll have to use (expense:charity - asset:c/p) in order to calculate my taxable deductions instead of expense:charity like I should.

You should consult with your accountant.  If you accrue debts, with no
intention of paying them off, ...  even if they are for charity ...

>   As long as one makes sure to stay up to date with their giving, this is a great idea.  Though, I don't know why one would decide to go through the %10 calculations and not give. :)

That's why 'automatic payroll deduction' is so popular.  Its easier.

--linas