Problem with width settings in register windows

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
31 Aug 2001 00:09:04 -0700

--=-CZluGpYLo6fwf62XazZl

On Tue, 2001-08-28 at 08:37, Keith Refson wrote:
> Since upgrading to 1.6.1 I have had an annoying problem with the
> widths of register windows.  These are annoyingly inconsistent with
> the widths of the text displayed resulting in some columns being far
> too wide, and others sufficiently narrow that you can't read the amounts.
>=20
> For example, a regular bank account window, the starting width of
> "Description" is 30% larger than the longest string to be displayed.
> Worse, Gnucash will not allow me to shrink this -- I can drag the
> column separator in the header to the left, but it just bounces back
> to where it was.  (*Increases* are allowed for some reason).  Dragging
> the RHS of the "Transfer" column to the left makes the situation
> worse, and INCREASES the minimum width of "Description", keeping the
> RHS of "Transfer" at exactly the same spot. =20
>=20
> The "Deposit" and "Withdrawal" columns are too narrow and can not
> display 4-figure amounts (or even the text "Withdrawal").  Again,
> dragging the RHS marker of thr "withdrawal" column leftwards increases
> the minimum allowed width of "Description".
>=20
> Is this behaviour a bug, or expected?  I compiled using gcc 2.95.2 on
> a sparc-sun-solaris platform.

It's a limitation of the current register. However, you can adjust
the description field by shrinking the entire window. Also, make sure
you have 'save window geometry' on in your preferences dialog. Once
you get your register set up the way you like, it should stay that
way.

dave

--=-CZluGpYLo6fwf62XazZl

--=-CZluGpYLo6fwf62XazZl--