slibcat permissions (was no subject)

Haines Brown brownh@hartford-hwp.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:19:32 -0400

> > > Change the permissions of slibcat so that it is world-readable.
> > Dave, suggestion much appreciated. But where is slibcat? I've got
> > /usr/share/guile/1.4/slib directory, but can't find slibcat.
>
> Ok, in that case try running gnucash once as root.

A lot of water has gone over the dam since the message to which you
kindly respond. Running as root is an obvious tactic, but honestly
don't recall the result.

But that is somewhat academic now, for I decided to follow in the
footsteps of someone who had a similar problem.

I'm running RH 7.1, to which I added GNOME 1.4, and so make use of the
gnucash-1.6.1-1-ximian binary. Someone suggested trying the
gnucash-1.6.2-1 helix version, but I was surprised to discover that
the 1.6.1 ximian has newer code than the 1.6.2 helix.

When I tried to run rpm -ivh on the 1.6.1 ximian binary, I ended up
with only one dependency problem: The application requires
libgtkhtml.so.10. I could not find that version of the library
anywhere, and so at this point became desperate.

Despite a warning to someone else that it was not a good idea, I did a
forced installation (--nodeps) of gnucash-1.6.1-1-ximian and added a
symlink from libgtkhtml.so.10 to the libgtkhtml.so.13 that I
downloaded, and it works. gnucash is running and I was able to gain
access to my data files for the first time in a month. I don't know
what other alternative I had.

Haines KB1GRM