Updating my bank account - qif downloads

Dan Kegel dank@alumni.caltech.edu
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 22:01:59 -0800

Bill Gribble wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:16:21AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > I assume I'll (have-to (think (backwards)) as it'll involve writing
> > Scheme, right?
>
> It will involve writing some Scheme (for the back end) and some C (for
> the modifications to the GUI of the QIF import wizard).  The changes
> you are talking about will be fairly large, since currently the whole
> idea of the QIF importer is just to import the information in the
> file, determining the account end point from the Category.

Yeah, but when the source of the QIF is a bank, the Category doesn't
have much useful info.

> In order to add the use of historical Payee-->account mappings, you'll
> need a new page in the wizard to allow the user to review and edit the
> mappings from payee to an account.  I'd say this should be similar to
> the account->account and category->account mapping pages that already
> exist.
>
> The Scheme code for the QIF importer is in src/scm/qif-import/.  Your
> changes will probably be mainly to qif-dialog-utils.scm and
> qif-guess-map.scm, where you'll add new functions to fill the wizard
> mapping page and to guess an account based on the payee.  You'll also
> need to change a bit of the logic that currently sets the account name
> to Unspecified in qif-guess-map.scm.
>
> The C code for the druid is in src/gnome/druid-qif-import.{c,h}.  The
> actual GTK code is mostly done by glade, from the glade XML file in
> src/gnome/gnc-dialogs.glade.  You'll want to add a new page for the
> mappings to the druid, then copy-edit-paste the code which fills the
> existing category and accounts mapping pages.
>
> Or you could wait for me to do it :) This sounds like a useful
> feature, and I need to work on the QIF importer some anyway to fix
> some outstanding bugs.

OK, I'll wait.  :-)

In the meantime -- how do you suggest I fix up the results of importing
QIF files?  I'm a totally mystified newbie.  I expect to be able to right
click on a transaction and pick "Move to account" to refile it under the
correct account, but no such option presents itself.  "Cut transaction"
looks painful to use -- is that really the tool of choice?
I'm so confused.

BTW, I have upgraded to 1.4.10, and switch to a dual Pentium III-650
from my Pentium-133, and gnucash now takes 4 seconds to load instead of 60.
This makes a big difference in usability :-)

- Dan