OH HELP!

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:56:46 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that canderson@spacebridge.com said:

> I am running the latest stable version of gnucash (1.4.10) on Mandrake
> 7.2.  This morning after entering a months worth of data I tried to save
> and got an error message saying that there was a problem saving the
> file.   A few seconds later a dialog pops up asking me to save the file
> or renaming the file.  I chose save and a prompt  if I wanted to
> overwrite the existing file.  Seeing that it is the same file I chose
> yes (unfortunately).  I subsequently opened the file just to check if
> everything was ok., it was not.  My 5 years of financial data went into
> the bit bucket. Gone,  all of it.  There are still log files and .xac
> files,  is there a way to rebuild the database, or get back my data from
> these files?  Please help -- that's a lot of data to loose.  In case
> anyone is wondering about the 5 years, I was a quicken addict and gave
> up waiting for them to make a linux version of their software.  I have
> now switched to gnucash and I a'int  looking back.

If you managed to hit 'save' anwhere along the way, there should be
files that are time-stamped copies: e.g. acct.20010215093000.xac
(2001/02/15 etc)

There are also 'log files' ...*.log which contain a record of everything
you did.   There is a perl script that can read these and re-enter
transactions.  But its untested & possibly broken. Do you know perl?

--linas