GNC-PRICES

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:37:21 -0500

In a message dated: 22 Feb 2001 18:58:32 CST
Rob Browning said:

>Hmm.  Maybe.  Even there, I'd still maintain that:
>
>  - build process should check for/require those sub-packages at build
>    time that it needs for the bits that are going to be built and
>    installed, including "net io" parts if something that depends on
>    them is scheduled for installation. (If anything is missing,
>    perhaps configure should suggest the common -dev packages for
>    RedHat and Debian or point them to a README.dependencies).
>
>  - .rpm's .debs, etc. should depend on the right runtime net io (or
>    whatever) packages if those are needed for the scripts/binaries
>    included to function properly.  If the packages don't depend on
>    everything they need for all of the components to function
>    properly, then IMO that's a bug.
>
>  - If there are bits that seem minor enough that you shouldn't
>    require everyone to install them, then at built time, we should
>    have an --enable-foo option, and the gnucash .deb or .rpm should
>    be broken up into multiple packages, some optional (say gnucash,
>    gnucash-quotes, etc.), and the optional packages should depend on
>    the relevant net io, or whatever, other packages they need.
>
>Though maybe I'm missing the point and we're talking past each other
>here.  If so, sorry.

I think so :)  None of what you say is unreasonable, and IMO, exactly correct.
Currently requires some CPAN perl mods to be installed.  Not everyone will
want to use gnc-prices, therefore, there's no reason for them to be required
to install these modules.

However, should they want to, it makes perfect sense for them to A) ensure that
the correct CPAN mods are installed and B) to configure GnuCash with a
--enable-online-quotes option to ./configure.

What we're saying is that we can make step A) easier by providing a
pseudo-bundle for CPAN that allows the user to install the required net/io
perl modules in one step.

Making separate .deps/.rpms I think is a good idea, however that doesn't help
the person who installs from source, or on a platform which doesn't use either
of those package formats.
--

Seeya,
Paul