Back to GUI bug

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 01:44:42 -0800

Judd Maltin writes:
> Hey coders,
>
> Got this bug down pat now.
>
> Open a register that has entries without any splits.  For example, an
> accounts receivable entry indicating an invoice was sent and we're
> awaiting payment of say, $3.00.  If it just been invoiced, and payment
> hasn't been received yet I  *won't* have the second line of the entry
> indicating the checking account a potentially received check should be
> deposited into.  When (if) the check arrives safely in my hands, and I
> get it to the bank, the appropriate line must be added to the
> aforementioned appropriate accts recvble entry, e.g.
> "Bank:MyCompany:Checking".
>
> Well, if I try to enter that second line of the entry without indicating
> how much money was actually deposited, because I assume that I'll be
> depositing all of that money, then when I click 'record' or hit enter,
> the amount from the FIRST line disappears and my transaction is recorded
> with NO AMOUNTS.  Then I have to go back to my bank statement or invoice
> to see how much money I asked for and got.

GnuCash is trying to automatically rebalance the transaction.
Since you are effectively entering 0 as the amount of the split,
gnucash adjusts the other to 0 as well. The next major version
of gnucash will not do this. In the meantime, you can avoid the
behavior be entering the amount explicitly.

dave