'save off' last year's data ??

Jeff Clark jeffclark@linuxfan.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:47:50 -0600

Rob Browning wrote:

> Thomas Spahni <tsp@lawbiz.ch> writes:
>
> > So, what is the suggested work around? Start with a new filename
> > and re-enter all accounts? Or -- is there any easy way to delete
> > everything except the accounts from a copy?
>
> Well, with the newer XML version data files, if you're handy with a
> text editor, you could conceivably just make a copy of the file and
> edit it to delete all of the <transaction> blocks.  That should
> preserve your account hierarchy.
>
> In the long run, we want to do something more like "closing the
> books", which involves some accounting entries to roll up your income
> and expenses for the year, etc.
>
> --
> Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> PGP=E80E0D04F521A094 532B97F5D64E3930

I'm really looking forward to this particular feature.  My gnucash file
has data from January of '98 and it's getting much too big: completion
of a new transaction (based on a previous transaction) takes several
seconds and it's getting tiresome.

When you add this feature, remember that not ALL old data should be
removed.  In particular, buys, sells, and pricing data for stocks,
mutual funds, etc., should be retained for some longer period of time (5
years? 10? forever?) so that (future) reports can be generated showing
investment performance over a longer of period of time than other
transactions are retained.

BTW, THANKS for GnuCash!  I'm a former M$Money user.  While GnuCash
isn't perfect, it's "good enough" (and getting better!) and it has
finally allowed me to cut the cord to my Windows machine.  I converted
everything else over to Linux years ago, but I was still chained to
Windows just so I could use Money.  Keep up the good work.

--
Jeff Clark                         | mailto:jeffclark@linuxfan.com
"Too soon old, too late smart."    | http://www.linuxfan.com/~jeffclark