New account setup: reconciliation conflict

Stephen Walton swalton@sunspot.csun.edu
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 01:16:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm setting up for the first time and hit a bit of a snag.  Since it is
the end of the year, I thought I'd close out my books on my old software
and begin on GNUcash with the beginning balances on my December bank and
credit card statements, followed by all transactions since.

The snag I've hit is that because of statement timings, a check for a
credit card payment isn't on my December bank statement but is on the
December credit card statement.  I've maladjusted this by setting the
beginning balance on the credit card to the actual December balance minus
this payment and hand-marked the credit card side of the payment
reconcilitation to "C".  Is there a better way?

--
Stephen Walton, Professor of Physics and Astronomy,
California State University, Northridge