How do you set up a 401(k)

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:07:12 -0500

In a message dated: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:58:42 PST
Richard Seymour said:

>I have two accounts from previous jobs. One is a 401(k) and the other is
>very similar (a SEP account).
>
>I am using GnuCash 1.4.8.
>
>What type of account should I use in setting up these accounts?

I set up a major account of "Investments" and then set up a sub-account of
"401k".  Under this account, there are sub-accounts for both me and my wife
for each job that we currently have 401k accounts with:

	Investments
		401k
		  Me
		  	job1
			job2
		  Spouse
			job1
			job2

The jobX accounts, for all intents and purposes is set up as a "Bank" type
account, since from there, money gets disbursed into various securities/mutual
funds.  I haven't set up the disbursements yet though, nor have a I figured
out how to deal with employer mathing funds which also get "deposited" into
the account.
--

Seeya,
Paul